This female skull was excavated in the basement of 36 Craven Street in 1998. It has been dissected in several directions. The skull cap was first removed, then the back of the head was cut on both sides, followed by a division of the frontal bone in two. This was then severed on either side of the nasal bone, probably to allow observations on the eyes. Note the ‘slip marks’ made by the saw along the cuts. Its presence links directly to William Hewson who ran a small Anatomy School at 36 Craven Street from the early 1770’s. Hewson was the husband of Polly, daughter of Franklin’s landlady, Margaret Stevenson.