COVID-19 Update: We are offering remote science and history workshops for free, while our building is closed. Please contact our Education Manger for more details. When schools reopen, we will take bookings for our free in-school outreach workshops and our Sister Schools programme, connecting British and American schools.
Our award winning education days take place on Tuesdays in the House’s Student Science Centre. Visits support the National Curriculum in history, science, English, design and technology, mathematics and citizenship; an overview can be found here.
Based on the London life and work of Benjamin Franklin, we provide hands-on activities that capture children’s imaginations. On a visit to the House children will:
- See the Children’s Historical Experience, an interactive walk through the historic rooms of the House accompanied by Polly, the daughter of Franklin’s landlady enriched through our vibrant Franklin Illuminations projected onto the walls
- Visit the Medical History Room with its emphasis on the pioneering science of Dr. William Hewson, Polly’s husband, who ran an anatomy school at 36 Craven Street
- Be challenged to identify various Craven Street-related objects in the Discovery Room with fun computer games
- Observe a live science demonstration. Choose from:
- The True Nature of Lightning
- Inventing the Armonica
- Investigating Canals